Thursday, January 6, 2011

Romney Tamale Fiesta 2010

If you're not from the Southwest, the idea of tamales for Christmas may sound a little odd. Around here though, December is Tamale Season! Restaurants, co-workers, random strangers in Walmart parking lots...they're all hawking tamales. Seeing as they're rather labor-intensive to make, that's a good thing.

The Romney's have been having their annual tamale dinner since before I was born, and it just wouldn't be Christmas without it. We get green (corn with green chile) and red (corn stuffed with marinated pork) tamales, and my Mom makes Fideo Soup, a tomato-based noodle soup that warms my heart as much as my tummy. Add fresh tortillas, sour cream, loads of shredded cheese, and you have a fairly simple but delicious holiday meal. I personally love to have something different after just having had Thanksgiving's traditional fare.

Ours was a little early due to schedules. We had some missing this year, my nephew Ryan who is on a mission in South Africa (cool!), and my niece Kiley who was feeling sicksicksick. We sure missed my nephews Isaac and Amos in Utah too. Can't wait to all be together again soon!

(So this pic cracks me up, with my Dad's ever present Pepsi. And I do mean ever present.)






(I love how this captured Mike saying "DO NOT TOUCH THAT" without even opening his mouth)
Aedan's post-dinner damage. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas- more pics to come!

P.S. I will post the Fideo recipe once I can steal it from mi madre.

P.P.S. The best tamale's I ever had were from a random stranger in a Walmart parking lot.


1 comment:

Jon Lisa and Paxton said...

mmmmmm tamales. Jon wants me to "study abroad" meaning move in with a mexican family in mexico and learn how to make tamales like an old mexican lady. We should attempt to make them together someday!