Saturday, February 14, 2009

Time Flies!




Mike and I bought tickets last week to go visit Grandma and Grandpa Romney in Baltimore over Spring Break- we're stoked! We're pretty excited to show of our little guy. We're gonna' visit DC while we're there and hopefully visit Mike's sister Janice and her husband in NY for a few days. All with a 2 month old...are we crazy? I have nightmares about the plane trip and angry people throwing their in-flight meals at us because of our screaming baby. Mike better start freezing those Nyquilsicles...

So, we went on a picnic to Kiwanis park a week or so ago, and that spawned a flashback session between Mike and I- what are your biggest/fondest playground memories? Being at Kiwanis reminded me of this covered slide they used to have, so it was dark all the way down. That thing scared me to death- every time we went I tried to work up the courage to try it, and every time I convinced myself it would kill me, or I'd be transported to some twilight zone instead of coming out the other end.

Mike and I both remember the old playground that had a giant spaceship contraption- now it's been changed to a "safer" plastic run of the mill playground. Apparently they had qualms about the giant metal tube you had to climb in to get to the top of the spaceship, which was probably 200 degrees in the summer and a metal death pit, and probably made of lead paint or something...but it was SO much more fun then what they have now! All the old playgrounds of our childhood have been changed to these same pre-fab playgrounds, and it made us a little sad.

Anyone remember...?

* The metal swings with arms in front that you pushed to swing yourself? If you accidentally let go they came back and knocked your teeth out. Gone now.

* The wooden block bridges that were on an axis that you had to run across or else you lost your balance and fell off? And got a splinter the size of Texas in your backside and a concussion to match? Gone now.

* The giant spider web (they had this at the park on Dobson and University) that was essentially 50 feet of netted rope that you could climb on...before falling to your death. Gone now.

Ah, the memories. I'm amazed I still have both my arms.

P.S. Here's some more recent pics of the little guy- try to ignore me, I hadn't slept/showered in awhile...



4 comments:

Scott and Amber Bryson said...

I remember those teeter totters that because I was always smaller than the other person I was always afraid I'd fly off of it when the other person came down. I don't see any of those around either. :) Cute pics!

isaacandruth said...

Very cute! Happy 1 month b'day!
P.s your parents are in Baltimore? have fun there - WE had an 'interesting' time whist we lived there.

Liz said...

It was so good to see you guys on Fri. Aedan is so cute! We should all get together sometime when Mike isn't so busy with school.

Shelly Marie said...

WOW I can't believe how big he is! One month already?! Time does fly!